Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Blog Time Assignment 2

            In the prologue, one thing I learned about was structuralism and functionalism and what the difference is between them.  With structuralism, I learned about introspection and the structural elements of the human mind.  To show how the mind works they looked inward to how the five senses contribute to the mind.  With functionalism, I learned about the mental and behavioral process and how it functions.  It enables us to view our past, adjust the present, and plan our future.  It impacts me by giving me an idea of what goes on with the mind and how we can live out your life.  It is relevant by letting my mind comprehend what goes on around me.  “What are the other ways people could learn about how the mind works?” is my question.
           
            In Chapter One, I learned more about random assignment.  With that, you assign random people to a control group and an experimental group.  In the groups you would test out something new on the experimental group, where as the control group doesn’t get the same product, they just get tested based on their natural well being.  When you have the experimental group ready you would test both groups to see what the difference is and to see if the experiment had proven true.  It impacts me if they are testing a new drug to cure a cold; they would not want to put a product out that would harm me.  It is relevant because everything new has to be tested to see what the effects are.  The question for this chapter is, “If there was no change to the experimental groups outcome and it was the same as the control groups, how would you be able to adjust the product?”

            In Chapter Four, I learned about the social learning theory.  This theory is how we learn social behavior by observing and imitating and by being rewarded or punished.  As children, we watch how others act and we pick up on what they do.  If you say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing, kids pick up on this and it can affect their future. It impacts me because as a I grew up, I would watch other people and want to be like them when I was older.  It is relevant because I have learned from working with kids, how much they really pay attention to what is going on around them.  A question is, “How can you explain to people that when you have children around, they go off of what you say and what you do?”

            I think the most intriguing was the social learning theory.  I chose that because I found out that what you do or how you act in front of kids leaves them with an impression, which leads me to believe that this was the most interesting chapter.  For it to be intriguing, I feel that many people don’t realize how much kids watch and imitate their every move no matter what it is.  You also have to think about it, because if you make the wrong move, a child could do the same in the future and ruin his or her life depending on what it is. 




Psychology, Psychology,
To learn how the mind thinks,
The roses and metronomes,
All give us the thoughts.

Methods, Methods,
It’s how we figure things out,
Without a question,
To give us the answer,
No one will know what to guess.


1 comment:

  1. We did not really discuss social learning theory - that comes later - we did look a bit at how environment influences us or shapes us - so I am a bit surprised that this is what you choose.

    ReplyDelete